Friday, December 10, 2010

Man Overboard!!!




I'd like to preface this entry by stating that what you are about to read is true. There has been no (or very little) embellishment to the tale.

Our story begins with a dinner invitation from Alain and Judy on Rhama. The Captain, Eric, Ellen and I were all invited and we dinghied out to Alain and Judy's boat Rhama for our evening of fun. A lovely dinner was followed by great conversation. As the evening continued I excused myself to step into the restroom. At about the same time Eric stepped out on deck for some "fresh air". Moments later I saw a shadow pass by the bathroom window followed by a splash and a short cry for help. I confess, it didn't register with me until seconds later when a much more definitive plea for help in Eric's voice reached my ears.


Meanwhile, the others were continuing conversations in the salon, unaware of Eric's fate. There was only one thing I could do - I shouted to the others from my perch that Eric had fallen overboard. A scurry from the salon to the stern followed by shouts confirmed that Eric was indeed overboard clinging to Rhama's starboard door which had come off its track in Eric's fall.

After assessing that Eric was not in an immediate state of drowning the group did what every friend would do in a similar situation. We pulled out the cameras and immediately started taking photos of the event. You never know when a few incriminating photos may come in handy!!!

Next we saved the door. Its an excellent piece of hardwood that Alain made himself so we had to make sure it was not lost. Meanwhile, Dave took off to save a piece of trim that had also come off in all the commotion.

Finally, we pulled Eric to safety. (We wish we had photos of him doing his doggie paddle, but in all the excitement that shot was missed.) Yet as you can see we have plenty of other great shots. Eric dripping wet after being pulled from the river. Eric being stripped of his wet clothes - not by his wife - but the two other ladies on board. (I think Eric secretly relished this bit of fun.) And finally, Eric dressed in the red bathrobe already retelling his tale of terror.

The amazing thing is I was just wondering the other day what in the world I would have to share with all of you.....who knew Eric would give me a juicy tidbit to post!!

The Admiral
12/9/2010

PS. Yes, Eric is just fine. A bit embarrassed, but just fine!

No comments: