Friday, February 13, 2009

Islamorada...


With the bad weather having finally past, the Captain and I were anxious to do some exploring. So we took the bus north about 30 miles to Islamorada.

Our first stop, believe it or not, was breakfast. Not a good healthy breakfast but a very tasty artery clogging one. Just days before I had started having cravings for sausage, bacon, sausage gravy and all things bad for breakfast. I realized I hadn’t had any of these things since we left in October. So we found an outdoor bar with an ocean view and enjoyed all breakfast things bad for us. It was wonderful.

From there we went to the History of Diving museum. I have never seen so many dive helmets in one place before. It was very interesting as we learned that the first dive helmet was created by Dr. Edmund Halley in 1691. The same Halley for whom Halley’s comet is named. Also, I never realized that SCUBA was really a 2oth century invention. There are so many technologies that we just take for granted. Like youngsters today who never knew life before the PC, cell phone, video games etc. Heck, I remember Mom and Dad bringing home our first microwave. What an event that was!

From there it was onto Dave’s new toy store. For those of you who have been to Islamorada you know I can be talking about no other than the World Wide Sportsman store dedicated to the avid fisherman. He shopped ‘til his hearts content picking up a lobster kit, some lures and a few other essentials. Now he just needs to get back out and do more fishin’.

The Admiral
2/9/09

No comments: