Projects. Projects. And more projects. That would be the theme for haul out this year. The list was huge. In addition to the general maintenance and storage we needed to haul out one of our fuel tanks so that we could ship it off to a welder for repair. The tank was not leaking but the baffles within the tank had come loose and were moving around in the fuel tank. This was a particular pain since that fuel tank is just behind the wall at the head of our bed allowing us to hear the periodic sloshing back and forth.
But of course, you can't just hoist out the tank. First the windlass had to be dismantled and removed. Then the anchor box had to be unbolted and removed. This of course, was too big to fit through the hatch so the Captain had to sand down one of the walls of the box so it would fit. Only then could we pull the fuel tank from its resting place. While the Captain maneuvered the heavy loads, I manned the winch and using the halyard hoisted the windlass, anchor box and eventually the fuel tank from their hole. Once everything was on deck it was quite the site. Stuff was just everywhere.
With the fuel tank repair complete we decided to pump the fuel from the starboard tank to the port tank and filter it. While doing this we discovered the starboard tank also had a baffle broken so once we had the port tank back in and loaded with fuel we hauled out the starboard fuel tank and took that over to the welder.
Ah and this was just one project. In addition, we took the anchors and chain over to a galvanizer to be galvanized - they are absolutely beautiful now. We varnished the wood entry step and kitchen floor - also now stunning. Sanded and painted a rusty spot on the oven door. Cleaned all the stainless. Took down the main sail - a first for us - so we could have a new sail cover made. Removed the solar panels from the bimini, removed the bimini and will take down the bimini frame so that a hardtop can be constructed. This also included the need to make 4 small holes in the ceiling of the kitchen and salon. And while I am not happy about having holes in the ceiling of the deck house, I am rather amazed at the beefy construction Dave found while making the holes. Quite amazing!
PS - For all the other Admiral's out there, you know I wouldn't allow holes in the deckhouse without getting something out of it. I'm promised a complete interior paint job and new flooring to be installed this fall. Yippee!!!
PPS - For all our followers, this will be my last post for the season. Please return in the fall to check out how all our projects went and to join us for another season aboard the Breezer.